There are some diseases that when they attack you might assume that it is a cold or even malaria and start taking drugs. This is not good. The first step that you should take if you fall sick is visit a doctor to examine you from this point the doctor may tell if those are signs and symptoms of meningitis.
When you feel that you have severe headache you should see the doctor immediately. The doctor will have to do a proper diagnosis on you. The main way to treat this sickness is if it has proper diagnosis. The viral type is not as mild as that of bacterial type of meningitis. The bacterial type will only worsen if it was not noticed or treated, this will make it become severe.
The symptoms of this sickness can be easily mistaken for those of influenza or flu. These indications may be developing as the time goes by. This can be for the first or two days after attack. The common indications can only be seen in those who are above two years.
When it comes to the infants the symptoms here could be quite different from those of adults. This disease is not very easy to detect if attacks a child below the two years age. The child may be appearing inactive or weak, irritable and vomiting. Some other indications could not waking up easily and difficulty in eating.
The main action that should be taken if you see these signs is acting very quickly. Do not wait thinking that the signs are those of flu. This is the only way that you will be able to save life. One might be having persistent headache that is severe, vomiting, sensing that very bright light, sluggishness or drowsiness. The neck becomes so stiff that it cannot even touch your chin.
As for the bacterial type of meningitis it is said to be more than dangerous. When this is found in your body you will have to identify the bacteria responsible for the disease. This will be done by the physicians. He will tap and examine that fluid that comes from the spinal cord to see if there are bacteria in it and find out which type.
If this type of disease is left not noticed or treated it will result in learning disabilities, hearing loss, and even brain damage. As for the viral type there still not a single treatment that is recommended for it. This is because it will only last for not more than ten days thereafter no needed treatment.